“The metaphysicians of Tlön are not looking for truth, nor even for an approximation of it; they are after a kind of amazement.”
― Jorge Luis Borges, ‘Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius’
This is the obligatory first post. This is where I lay out some grandiose mission statement for the blog and the proceed to not upload a second post. In Lieu of that I am instead going to try and lay some breadcrumbs for myself to help guide the future direction of the blog.
- I am writing for myself. This means this is primarily a space for thinking out loud.
- The person writing this is called D.S. This characters and other entities appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, dead or alive, or other real-life entities, past or present, is purely coincidental.
- Hopefully future posts will be some more structured thoughts on whatever recent blog post has caught my fancy, writing commentary and backlinks like it 2004.
- Perhaps it will be Perhaps it will be notes and commentary on whatever book I happen to reading at the time, leaning pretty heavily on my kindle highlights.
- Perhaps I will be writing to figure things out, perhaps to try on an idea and see how it feels. Perhaps you might call this an essai.
- The subject matter of this blog will include Philosophy, Politics and
- Where possible I will publish early and revise rather than sit on half completed drafts.
While I do not plan to go full Tlön, the story provides both the name and I also hope some of the guiding ethos for this blog 1. It is very easy to write takedowns and negative scribblings in aid of the truth but that is not where I want to spend my time. It is much more fun to write something with flashes of color that may in the final analysis be wrong. When presented with the choice between truth and amazement I plan to pick amazement.
Metaphysics is a form of fantastic literature.↩